How To Make Money While Blogging
Want to Blog? Why? – Why Not?!?
First things first, I want to explain to you that
you can be as successful as the next person as long as you have patience and time. I mean let’s be honest, all the other sites out there say you’re
going to make a shit ton of money and don’t explain how (I haaaate that).
I will start out with telling you a little bit about myself. I am 38yrs old, family of two beautiful daughters and an awesomely understanding wife (I will get back to that later). I have a strong background in Information Technology and Web Design. I have done it all and have never been satisfied with what I wanted. So I started Fanatic Blogger, with great intentions to make a page I could bitch and complain about how other bloggers are showing and telling people how to make money and it doesn’t work. Then it clicked *light bulb*, instead of being the type of person I dislike the most, why not show how its really done!?! And be honest about the expectations on what is really going to happen. Like first, I am not going to show you a huge check like others do!
- My money is none of your business (not to be harsh)
- Most of the time, these players are only showing you a photo-shopped image
- They are only doing this to get more traffic to there site, which is good. But lying about it?
The Start – Blogging
When it comes to a blog and what you want to write about is your choice and there are several ways to do this. You can write about a niche or about yourself, what ever may toot your horn. Most people say you have to write about the latest niche. As we continue on with this trip down knowledge lane I will show the steps I use to this day to get people to my site, bring in fresh leads, how to monetize with Google AdSense, use Affiliate Linking, selling “your product” or a “digital product”and make your presence on google and other power listing sites.
Lets start with a few things:
- Niche – This is going to be what is in style or what people are searching or what people want at the time of your blog. Now these can be tricky, cause the moment you find one you darn well better be able to produce content for that niche! AND FAST! A niche will come and go faster than you can blink. But, if your good and you follow trends on the internet you can start the niche and make a mint off of it. read more…….
- Google AdSense – Here we have the god father of monetizing, Adsense has been around along time, I believe since 2003. Bloggers heaven right here, Google AdSense has been the money maker. But there are a few things you are going to need to do to make sure you are accepted into their program.
- Affiliate Marketing – Another great one here, you can make a percentage of money off items other companies are selling. So if you have a website that has a lot of traffic this is also a good one for you. It works like how I have on the right side of this page. I have links setup with my associate id embedded into the code that is provided to you. When someone clicks on that link and purchases one of the items you make a small percentage of that sale. read more…….
- Digital / Your Product – I added these two together cause they go hand and hand. Why? Because you can write an Ebook, PDF or News Letter (like what I do for news letter) and you can make money off that. Selling products from a wholesaler or an app that you may have created. By getting a newsletter together and sending that out drives traffic back to your site, in turn makes more money for you. read more…….
What next with Your Blog
Now that I have given the tools to use for your blog lets dip into this a little bit more. With a blog you need to take the time to think about what you want to do (ideas from above). I will go back to what I said from above “awesomely understanding wife”. Why I said that is due to the fact the amount of hours I have put into creating the money making blog. You will find a lot of people that state “build a blog and create a email-able PDF and poof, you have a $20,000 Google pay check and poof you have also just received a $5,000 Amazon paycheck”. There are very few instances where that actually worked. You would need a few things in place already.
- Website that already has a shit ton of traffic
- Mailings already in place (i.e. readers, customers)
And if you have these, then bless your heart. You are already ahead of the game! Now back to reality on Blogs!
I would say that I have put more hours into this blog than I have into last week of work. But don’t get SCARED, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. So you put all the hours into keywords, adwords, affiliates and such. Now you need to look at the big picture, now that you have built the blog, you will only have to do minor updates and changes to meet the needs of your readers. So come this time next year I will update this with the newest content to meet the needs of my readers and keeping the blog looking nice and clean, with minimal time while making money. Now to the next part.
Build A Blog
1. You need to start with a great web hosting company and I would suggest that you get one with SSD’s (Solid state hard drives). They are five times faster than an average hard drive and help load that website faster, and you shouldn’t need the help of a CDN (Content Delivery Network) like CloudFlare. Now I will tell you that I use cloudflare for my blog, but I didn’t just start this. You don’t need to go out and spend a bunch of money cause you are not going to get it back all at once.
I suggest a company like InMotion Hosting or Web Hosting Hub, these two have great speeds, even though there on shared servers they still compete with a VPS (Virtual Private Server).
Both are great for WordPress and the speeds don’t lack like most of the competitors. I specifically use Inmotion Hosting and like I said before I build websites for companies and I swear by these guys. But that is my personal opinion! So now that you have the hosting for your WordPress site, Whats Next??
2. You need to find a great clean responsive theme, and by responsive I am talking about being able to be viewable on a desktop, laptop, tablet and phone. WordPress official site has several free. You can pay for the theme if you want. They run around $35-$60 a theme with free updates for a year or two. ThemeForest and Eligant Themes are two of the major contributors to wordpress themes, and they work great for a blog!
3. Think about what you want to monetize to make your money, and blog about it. Money Blog Money Blog, that is what I think about all the time. The more you blog the more money you make.
4. Automated emailers is a good thing. I use Mail Chimp and OptinMonster for my emailing, campaigns and window popups to get peoples attention (like what pops up on my site asking you “to sign up to my newsletter”). Now these are free up to certain amount of signups or readers and popup campaigns, then after that you need to pay. Both are really good at fair pricing when you do hit it big and have to pay for some services.
5. WordPress plugins are very helpful, like I stated with mail chimp and optinmonster they both have integration services for wordpress. Makes life really easy! And there are a few plugins that can speed up your website or what they call caching.
And once you have done all those and have a blog put together, wait and make money.
Wireless D.I.Y Home Networking at a Budget
Wireless Home Network is considered a must have in 2016. With the Internet of Things and BYOD (Bring your own device, not beer) that are out there that can work with and on your network, having a wireless network is a must. So you think that buying a wireless router and plugging it to the wall is all you need to do? Well sure, if you want is done the ge*k – sq*ad way. What I am going to show you is the right way to setup a wireless home network and to make sure its secure and the components that you can use to make your life a little easier in your house. I am going to walk through some simple steps to helping you setup a secure wireless home network.
I believe that before you can have a good home network you need a solid ISP (Internet Service Provider). I work with people on a daily basis that still have old school internet, Yes! dial up is still available. Though most of the people that still use dial up is for the main reason of transferring small amounts of data to another location. Normally email dumps. But as of last year AOL still had 2 million users, so its not dead yet. But I would never suggest getting that to anyone, there are way better providers with speeds that trump dial up by a thousand times.
I use a cable internet provider in my house, while this is the best way to get internet, besides FTH (Fiber To The Home). Some people also use DSL (Dedicated Service Line) but your limited to the amount of people that are using the same line on your street block. Back to cable internet, I have a provider that is ranked top in the nation for average consistent speeds of 200Mbps/20MBs and they have stepped up their game with adding gigabit speeds to a selected areas in South Dakota, North Dakota and Minnesota. Remember that you don’t need though speeds but I will suggest at least a 30/3MBs connection. This is good for a single person to a family of three. Now if your going to say that everyone is streaming Netflix, Hulu or another provider then I would suggest no less than 50/5MBs connection for good through-out-put. You would be amazed at how fast you can eat your bandwidth up by having a couple iPads watching Netflix. Or if you have DirecTV they also connect to the internet for on demand options, and hog the internet.
O’Boy, Can I go into a rant on this. I am a network guru by trade, and I love me-self a good home network. I have spent hours pulling cat6 plenum cable around my house while it was being built, and even after. I literally have a network jack terminated in every room, half way up the wall behind where the TV would hang. I did this for a couple reasons, while its great that the world has wireless, you get better connection and reduced lag times with your component hardwired. But we are not talking about that, we are going down the line of a wireless home network for now. Sorry about that rant :). Now that we have the internet down, lets move forward.
- I would consider a docsis 3.0 modemby Cisco, and at $40 for entry level, that is a good price. Motorola makes a good one also for $90, but I am a Cisco fan boy soooo. Now if you happen to have Midco for an internet provider then you will already have a good choice for the given environment.
This is a pretty straight forward item, get one and this I can say is a plug n play item. Nothing else you really need to do to get it up and running. So I am going to go to the next item on our list.
Router (if you want?)
I am a big fan of Ubiquiti also, and the reason being is that while I can’t afford the outrageous price of Cisco for my Home Network (besides the cable modem). So I use a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X SFP, This is the brains to my network. This houses the port forwarding, firewall and other options like guest networking and VoIP options. This is not for the faint hearted, it does take some technical background or good ole YouTube! But I love how I am able to use the GUI (Graphical User Interface) webpage or the CLI (Command Line Interface) like coding. I can setup so many options on there. But again, its your choice on how you want to do this.
Here is going to be the brains of your Home Network, this will include the options of your internal IP address (192.168.1.0 or 192.168.5.0). You will be able to setup your port forwarding (for gaming), DDoS (direct denial of service) protection and setup limits on your family or friends usage (I love that part). I would suggest to you that you get the ASUS model for your wireless experience. They have a great many options and its easy to setup and priced right. I would not go with the latest bullshit anyone puts out, WHY!?!? you ask. Well lets put it this way.
- Wireless Routers offer us up to 5400mpbs is speeds, that is 5.3 gigabytes of data per second. There is nothing on your network that will even come close to using those speeds.
- At a $400 price tag, I can tell you so many more things to get than one of those, but if you must need one I would suggest this one again by ASUS RT-AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit Router, AiProtection with Trend Micro for Complete Network Security. This is a beast, but its pricey.
So I would suggest a basic wireless router for your setup unless your like me then you have to have the best of the best for home networking. I am going to include one more thing, with your wireless home network I had talked about my Ubiquiti setup. Now I dont have a wireless router cause the Ubiquiti edge router does that for me. So I have two of the Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lite and they are awesome! I can steer bandwidth, cut out bandwidth per device and so much more. I will be posting another Blog about that in the near future, so stayed tuned!
Feel free to leave a comment
Niche Blogging is fast paced and unpredictable
Now these can be tricky, cause the moment you find one you darn well better be able to produce content for that niche! AND FAST! A niche will come and go faster than you can blink. But, if your good and you follow trends on the internet you can start the niche and make a mint off of it.
What is a Niche Blog?
A niche blog is normally pointed at a specialty item, age group or geographical location, as talked about on wikipedia. This is the easiest way for me to explain it. Back when I grew up (80’s) a big niche was dance workout party videos. Yes we all can laugh at that, cause I am as I was typing it, but back in that day those videos made millions equals into billions in this day. I mean come on, Richard Simmons! Nobody? Anyone? The point that I am making is that he found a niche, I have found a niche. Also there is nothing wrong with piggy backing on others ideas.
When you take an idea, you can make it your own. Like what I have done, I saw that I could make money blogging. Now I took what others had put out there and took what worked for me out of each areas and I put together a blog about it. Not stealing or plagiarizing is the only way to go, but taking that niche and making it your own with your own thoughts and ideas on what needs to be done is good. Even though half the time you run a plagiarism checker it comes up bad. Due to the fact that word combinations are caught and it says that its in use already.
But What Niche Should I Blog About?
- Do you have a passion or a hobby that you always find yourself going back to at the end of the day? Right there could be your niche, and you could get paid while doing something you love.
- For the people out there that love to tell stories on FaceBook you could easily make some money then. I mean your gabbing away for hours anyways, why not put into a blog?
- You can also take your regular job and put it into a blog
Believe it or not but I can guarantee you that there is already a blog about the niche you where thinking about, but the cool thing is you can give it a new perspective and set of eyes. Add your own flare to it and make your own money blogging about your niche.
So grab your niche and put it on a blog and make some money with it!
Affiliate Marketing and Blogging
With Affiliate Marketing you can make a percentage of money off items other companies are selling. So if you have a website that has a lot of traffic this is also a good one for you. It works like how I have on the right side of this blog. I have links setup with my associate id embedded into the code that is provided to you. When someone clicks on that link and purchases one of the items you make a small percentage of that sale.
Now this all sounds simple but there are a few things that need to be done so that way you get accepted by both Affiliate Marketing and Google AdSence.
- Get your account setup with a company like Amazon Associates, they are great for selecting pretty much anything you can think of.
- Create your account and start selling – now if you have a store front and want to sell specifically Amazon product you can do so by creating an Amazon Store code to put into your blog page.
Before going all out remember what I said about being careful, you need to keep in mind that if you want best of all the worlds you need to keep this to a minimum so that way you get accepted by Google AdSense program. I have heard from others that they had to many other links and html banners in their site and was denied access to Google Adsense.
This has never happened to me but its a possibility that I don’t want to chance when making money on my blog.
I found a great post on the internet by UberAffiliate Group. They have some fantastic Ideas on what to do. But like I have said before, take it all as a grain of salt. Grab all the information you can and put it into your own perspective. What worked for them or anyone else may not work for you. So take all the goods that you like and mesh it all together and then check out my previous blog about “how to make money while blogging“.
I will post below some great Affiliate Marketing sites to check out, and if you like them?
Sign up and start selling on your blog.
Now you can sign up for all these (becomes a bitch to maintain, Just saying) or grab a few of them and focus on those, making it easier to get what you want in your blog, MONEY!!
Please leave your comments below and happy hunting on your new affiliate network hunting.
Digital or Your Product?
I added these two together cause they go hand and hand. Why? Because you can write an Ebook or a PDF (like what I do for news letter) and you can make money off that. Selling products from a wholesaler or an app that you may have created. By getting a newsletter together and sending that out in an e-mail format it drives traffic back to your site, in turn makes more money for you.
To the right of this I created an image that links to my making money blog, but the real intention is to show you what you can create with a little time and some free tools.
You can also create your very own Ebook that you can add to your mailing for people that sign up, but also to put on Amazon’s site to sell. If you think about it, you put your ebook on how to crochet for .99 cents. That book becomes an Amazon best seller and you get a million sales. Well you just made darn near $1 million dollars, yes there is a catch 22 to this as Amazon will want a little bit of that money (form my understanding) but shit, you created a book that sold a million copies.
Now it goes back to a blog a put together when I stated that if you take the old information and make it fresh and add some new ideas into it, you just created another book. I know, I know, I make it sound easy! And by any means its not. You need the time and the patience to do this, and its a lot!
Don’t forget you have the option to sell digital products like music and downloads. I am not a big fan of these due to the laws and regulations and sometimes the amount of bandwidth this will take having people download from you. But there are people that may sell wordpress themes on their website and make a killing on the store front, again that is your choice on what you want to do.
Always keep in mind that you can chose as many things to add to your blog, but you have to also maintain this blog! And that is more time
Please leave comments below, and Happy Blogging